Filters : Cartridge
- In a cartridge filter, the water flows into the filter that contains one or more filter elements. These elements have a fine mesh material. The tight mesh fabric is able to strain out the impurities. Cleaning the cartridge is simple because all you need to do is remove the cartridge, wash it and put it back in the filter.
Why will my cartridge filter not clear algae from my pool?
- When a cartridge filter is clean it is possible for algae to pass through the filter element. Cartridge filters filter smaller particles as the filter becomes dirty. The dirt or debris on the element’s surface helps to catch smaller particles. It may be necessary to add certain chemicals to the pool so smaller particles can be picked up by the filter element. Consult your Hayward dealer for the proper chemicals to accomplish this task.
How do I clean my cartridges?
- The cartridges should be cleaned once a season with a degreaser or acid bath.
- Body oils are the first thing to clog a cartridge element. A degreasing solution should be used to remove oils. If an acid bath is used to remove oils, it will embed these oils into the fabric and make the element less effective. You local Hayward dealer should have a cartridge cleaner or you can use a mixture of laundry detergent and water.
1-cup detergent to 5 gallons of water. Dissolve the detergent in a bucket of water and soak the element(s) for 24 hours. YOU MUST THOROUGHLY RINSE THE ELEMENTS PRIOR TO REINSTALLING THEM INTO THE FILTER. IF YOU DON’T THE POOL WILL FILL WITH SOAP BUBBLES.
- An acid bath is for mineral deposits on the elements. If an acid bath is needed, do a degreasing wash first, then the acid treatment. Start off with a mixture of 1 part acid to 5 parts water in a bucket. ALWAYS add acid to water, never water to acid. If the mixture does not clean the elements effectively, increase the mixture to 2 parts acid to 5 parts water. Follow the proper disposal of the acid mixture, as per the acid manufacturer’s instructions.
Most Hayward dealers offer a filter cleaning service.